Wednesday 22 December 2010

You Can't Have Christmas Without...

Bing Crosby and that song. You know what I'm talking about!


It's gorgeous. It's beautiful. And when you hear it, you know it's Christmas.
I really don't know what it is about it, but as soon as I hear those opening notes, a huge lump grows in my throat, and tears well in my eyes. I honestly cannot explain why.
Bing's voice is just magical. Heck, Bing's voice is the voice of Christmas! It's so rich and deep...I love it!
Multiple artists have tried to recreate or put their own twist on the song, and generally a lot of the time it goes just awfully, but I ADORE this version (bit of talking at the start!):


These lovely fellas are The Overtones, and they're one of my modern weaknesses! Keep your eye out for them in the future-I'm sure you'll be seeing them soon!

2 comments:

Terence Towles Canote said...

I just watched Holiday Inn the other night! I love the song "White Christmas"--it's the highlight of the movie for me. BTW, The Overtones did do a good job with the song!

QUB English Society said...

I found Holiday Inn on YouTube, and the whole second part had been removed for copyright reasons-I MISSED THE SONG! I was ragin' (I just attacked you with a really Irish phrase-sorry about that).

And OF COURSE THEY DID! THEY'RE THE DAMN OVERTONES! ;-P This is my answer to everyone who says 'Hey, they did a good job!'. They're awesome. And they're a fifth Irish. ;-P