Saturday 11 December 2010

You Can't Have Christmas Without...

SANTA AND HIS COCA-COLA!


They made his suit red. They gave him a huge lorry with his face on the side. And they gave him possibly the most iconic ad ever. 

COCA-COLA AND ST. NICHOLAS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE TOGETHER!

You know it's Christmas when you see this ad. It is definitely a tradition (and vintage. Notice how almost all the ads are set in the past?)!

Two of the many versions of the magical commercial (the second is my personal favourite!):

PS-Please don't sue me Coca-Cola! I'm sorry-I had to write this post!



2 comments:

Terence Towles Canote said...

While the iconography of Santa was already somewhat established (jolly, red fat man in a red suit) by the time Haddon Sundblom first illustrated Ol' St. Nick for Coca-Cola, his art certainly did a lot to tie the jolly old elf to the company. And for the past twenty years they've done a lot of adverts capitalising on that imagery. I dare say that Coke and Santa are nigh inseparable now.

QUB English Society said...

I always thought Coca-Cola made Santa's suit red? Is that not true? I thought it was green! Oh, my head hurts! (Okay, that was a really random reply to only one part of your comment, but I'm intrigued now.)